Wednesday 23 July 2014

Wednesday 23rd July

Yesterday finished with the Troop singing some traditional favourites around the camp fire washed down with Cocoa and marshmallows. The singing was led by Mr Starke and culminated with a beautiful rendition of 'Hallelujah' from Daniel Bishop. We finished with night prayers focusing on our friends and friendship, as Mr Orbell often says, next to your family your friends are the most important people in your life and you need to look after them. Mr Starke decided that some of us were looking tired and therefore set reveille at the very gentlemanly hour of 08.30. The older boys and HQ were very happy!

The drone made an appearance during the camp fire hovering over the troop like some alien vehicle from a science-fiction movie. It does stand in huge contrast to the basic reality of daily life on camp. From the sublime to the ridiculous!

A cloudy sky greeted us this morning but the sun was eager to burn off the clouds and by about 11.30 was peaking through and promising another superb day. Once again it was bacon butties for breakfast which were expertly cooked for me and Bobby by Zak Heeler's Lions - I was even asked if I would like fried bread with my breakfast. Tempted though I was, in the interests of my waistline, I politely declined.

After tuck shop and morning parade the boys headed off into the woods for various activities. It's homemade sausage rolls for lunch which I need to collect in five minutes and a little recce this afternoon to check out the water sports location.

More tomorrow where I will be posting from The Castle Hotel in Taunton. Not a bad place to have a spot of lunch if you're ever down this way.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.