Tuesday 22 July 2014

Summer Camp 2014 - We're up and running...

Good Morning,

Welcome to my first blog of this summer camp - a far different perspective now that I am no longer the Scout Leader. I can, for instance, sneak off site at 11.00 and sit in a coffee shop in Porlock to spend time writing the blog!

Despite the less than smooth start at the Parish Hall (you can't really legislate for faulty window wipers) things on camp itself have got off to a fantastic beginning. The sun is shining, the boys are smiling and the leaders are, well, leading. I'm not quite sure what I was worried about for all those years. Clearly, I am a very small cog in an extremely sophisticated machine. I'm not really sure that I am needed at all but if they want me to drink coffee and write a few words to appease worried parents; then who am I to argue.

When I arrived at camp on Saturday, just ahead of the 1st and 2nd Years, all was set up and ready to go. Once everyone was on site, Mr Orbell led us in an opening prayer for a safe and happy camp, while Mr Causton issued his instructions for the rest of the day. In a whirlwind of activity, tents were set up for the night, dinner was cooked and evening inspection soon underway. It was as if we had picked up from last summer camp without missing a beat and somehow the intervening fifty weeks hadn't happened. Summer camp was up and running!

We finished the first day with a bit of a sing song in the marquee, some old hands trying to teach some young guns a few camp favourites, a short interruption for pop and crisps, more songs, night prayers (we remembered our mums and dads at home weeping into their G&Ts) and off to bed. Day one was done.

Day two arrived bright and sunny. Having slept for the first time in our new 'airbeem' tent (very palatial), I awoke at 06.00 ready for a day at work, remembered where I was rolled over and went back to sleep - bliss! Soon, however, number 1 son decided it was time for a game of top trumps and so the first coffee of the day was made.

At 08.00 the boys were awoken by the TL and ATLs after receiving instruction from Mr Causton and very quickly the day was underway. Stores were issued and the smell of frying bacon started to drift across the field. A bacon buttie and cup of tea standing outside bathed in morning sunshine in the stunning setting of the Horner Valley is very hard to beat. I certainly can't think of a better spot for breakfast.

The first marked inspection of camp is used as a training exercise when everything is explained to each patrol and marks are only dropped for catastrophic errors. After tuck shop the Troop underwent a health and safety briefing which was followed by a reminder about basic first aid. Lunch was next - Brie, Ham, Cheddar, French bread, chutney, fruit, etc..... It really is a struggle on these camps.

After lunch the new junior HQ put on an opening ceremony for the Horner Shield (our annual football competition) which revolved around the theme of nations that didn't make it to the World Cup - including England! This was followed by the opening rounds of the competition.

It was chicken korma for dinner and onto evening activities - touch rugby, board games in the 'Horner Arms' and letter writing (I know the boys would like me to remind parents that they like receiving letters, even better a letter containing a top up for camp bank, best of all a parcel with some surprises lurking inside). Evening parade, night prayers and day two was done.

Monday morning again started bright and sunny and, after the normal morning routine, each year group was packed off in various directions for day hikes with plenty of water and sun tan lotion - it was very hot. A dip in the river was very welcome after a long and hot day. On evening activities, I joined in a monster game of football - I think it was 30 versus 30 and the rules didn't much resemble the modern game. It was probably all the better for that though. Evening parade, night prayers and day three was done.

So we arrive at today. Breakfast this morning was eggy bread. Not one of my favourites as it tends to go cold by the time each piece has been cooked. I decided to take matters into my own hands and told Sam Mensah (the PL of the patrol I was scheduled to eat with) that I would come a cook for his patrol serving each boy with eggy bread straight from the pan as it was ready. They had two pieces each and there was enough egg left over for me to make some scrambled egg for myself. Much more my cup of tea!!

I will report more tomorrow and endeavour to update you with developments at least every two days. Perhaps even every day......it really is a very nice coffee shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.